Seguidores e seguidoras

miércoles, 24 de julio de 2013

Waders and other birds on Ortigueira estuary

Today, tide time would seem to be very good for count waders into Ortigueira "estuary" (here we called it "rías"). So, I went there at early morning. First place I stoppped was Ladrido, because this is the point where birds rest when high tide, and tide was so when I arrived in.

Curlews and Whimbrels (Numenius arquata/phaeopus) resting on Ladrido

 I could count these numbers:

- 39 Oystercatchers (Haematopus ostralegus). It´s quite possible there was 25 more (in Cavalar)
- 412 Eurasian Curlews (Numenius arquata).
- 172+ Whimbrels (Numenius phaeopus).
- 38 Common Redshanks (Tringa totanus) in the little inlet of A Lagarea/Cuíña
- 5 Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia)
- 40+ Red and Greenshanks (Tringa spp) in Ladrido. I think around 10 of them were T. totanus, and other 30 probably T.nebularia.

Redshanks (Tringa totanus)

- 11 Mediterranean Gulls (Larus melanocephalus), most of them adults.
- A lot of Black-headed Gulls (Larus ridibundus). Similar numbers as in winter. (46 in Ladrido, for example, and over 100-200 individuals at rest).
- 6 Great Black-backed Gulls (Larus marinus). 4 adults and 2 juvs.
- 2 Sandwich Terns (Sterna sandvicensis)

 Also, I enjoyed a lot with some special watchings:

- A House Martins colony, in Espasante village. This little swallow has almost disappeared in Ferrol city, although they are part from my childhood memories. Finding a colony is always a joy reason for me.



House Martin (Delichon urbicum)

... an Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) eating a fish in " O Cavalar":


..and a Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope), on July!!

Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)

 I don´t remmember now, but it´s posible this was my earliest record from this species in Summer migratory pass.

 And no more. See you here, in "Bichos".

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Para comentar es necesario identificarse con nombre y apellidos